Complementary therapy services
Complementary therapies are widely used in palliative care alongside conventional medical treatments; many of the treatments involve touch and patients often find them relaxing and soothing.
By gently stimulating the body, the therapies boost patients’ physical and emotional health; they can relieve some of their symptoms and side effects and ease stress and anxiety.
We treat patients and carers at the hospice, where we have a team of eight therapists and two well-equipped therapy rooms. The therapies are extremely popular and we provide more than 1500 treatments every year.
The therapies we offer are:
- Swedish Massage – a therapeutic massage, it’s very relaxing for mind and body and is used to relieve tensions and enhance mood.
- Aromatherapy Massage – combines natural oils extracted from plants that have certain properties with massage to enhance the beneficial effects.
- Remedial Massage – uses massage techniques, oils and movements to manipulate soft tissues, helping them to heal and maintain function.
- Indian Head Massage – involves different massage techniques over the neck, shoulder and scalp areas to relieve built-up stress and tension.
- Acupressure Massage – the therapist applies gentle pressure with their fingers to specific points on the body to stimulate the body’s natural self-curative abilities, release tension, increase circulation and reduce pain.
- Reiki – the practitioner places their hands on or directly above the patient’s body to transfer universal life energy through their palms to the patient, increasing their feelings of wellbeing.
- Reflexology – is an energy–based therapy where the therapist applies gentle pressure to certain points on the feet or hands. Some people find it relieves symptoms such as nausea, tension, pain and fatigue.
- Acupuncture – is derived from ancient Chinese medicine and uses fine needles, which are inserted at certain places on the body to help the body restore itself and tackle illness or disease.
These therapies, as their name implies, are complementary and work well with conventional medicines and treatments prescribed by your GP or consultant.
If you would like to make a comment about our services click here.