Be a volunteer
As a volunteer counsellor, you’ll support patients and families take on board the changes they face, and support bereaved families following the loss of their loved one. Providing this service is an invaluable part of the hospice and your role will be guided and supported by the Bereavement and Carer Support Manager.
What you’ll be doing
- Providing one to one counselling to patients, carers and their family
- Supporting either face to face, over the telephone, or via Zoom
- Signposting to other relevant organisations for more practical support, where appropriate.
Who we’re looking for
As a volunteer counsellor you’ll need:
- To be 21 years of age or over
- A counselling qualification at diploma level or above, (We also accept some student counsellors in their 3rd year of study from reputable counselling training organisations)
- To work in a way which is compatible with the person-centred philosophy of the counselling service
- To be willing to be part of a team, reliable and flexible and use your own initiative
- To be discreet and maintain confidentiality
- An awareness of boundaries, being able to recognise your own, and knowing when to seek support
- Able to recognise the limits of your skills, and seek support appropriately
- Able to cope with emotional distress in a healthy manner
- Balanced and comfortable in your own life – especially if you have personal experience of loss, bereavement and grief, resilience to deal with your own emotional distress
- Empathetic, transparent and non-judgemental in your approach
- Can work without direct supervision, comfortable relying on your own initiative and common sense
- Reliable, flexible and committed to the role
What you’ll get out of it
This rewarding role will give you the opportunity to use your experience and develop new skills while helping others in a valuable way. Volunteering within the counselling team will allow you to meet new people and make friends, and you’ll contribute to your local community by making a difference to those you support
To apply for this role, please fill in the form below or get in touch on:
You’ll need to be aged 21 or over to apply and some roles will require a DBS check prior to you starting, to ensure there is nothing on the record which may make you unsuitable. If a check is needed it will be mentioned when you apply.